Camel Milk as Adjuvant to Treat Alloxan Diabetes: Effect of Heat Treatment on this Property
AbstractDiabetes is one of the most frequent and serious chronic diseases in humans all over the world. The aim of our study was to evaluate the effect of heat treatment on antidiabetic activity of camel milk on serum glucose and lipid profile of alloxan-induced diabetic rats. Diabetes was induced in Wistar albino rats by intraperitoneal injection of alloxan (120 mg/kg BW once). Albino rats each weighing 180-230g were divided into 3 equal groups (n=4) as following: G1- normal rats fed on normal diet, G2 - diabetic rats fed on normal diet, and G3 - diabetic rats were fed with raw camel milk. Fasting blood glucose was measured lipid profile was assessed. Results: Our study showed a significant effect of raw camel milk on blood glucose and lipid profile parameters in alloxan induced diabetic rats, there was a significant reduction in lipid profile of T. Cholesterol, Triglycerides, LDL-C in (Diabetic+ Raw camel milk) comparing to (Diabetic+ Pasteurized camel milk) and Positive control group with values 121.4 mg/dl, 80.4 mg/dl, 17.9 mg/dl and 141.5 mg/dl, 90.7 mg/dl, 28.7 mg/dl and 181.6 mg/dl, 113.8 mg/dl, 48.9 mg/dl respectively. Diabetic+ Boiled camel milk group died at the end of experiment. Conclusion: Raw camel milk improved the glycemic and lipid profile in diabetic rats but not in Diabetic+ Boiled camel milk group. These findings indicate that boiling of raw camel milk may have reducing potential benefits in the treatment of diabetes. Future studies will be needed to establish its safety and mechanism of action.
Ozougwu J.C., Obimba K.C., Belonwu C.D., Unakalamba C.B. The pathogenesis and pathophysiology of type 1 and type 2 diabetes mellitus. Journal of Physiology and Pathophysiology, 2013, 4: 46-57.
American Diabetes Association (ADA). Diagnosis and classification of diabetes Mellitus. Diabetes Care 36(Suppl 1), 2013: S67–S74.
Shaaban M., Dawod A.E., Nasr M.A. Role of iron in diabetes mellitus and its complications. Menoufia Medical Journal, 2016, 29: 11-16.
Murti K., Kaushik M., Kaushik A. Evaluation of hyypoglycemic and hypolipidemic activity of nyctanthes arbortristis linn against streptozotocin induced diabetic rats. American Journal of Pharmacology and Toxicology, 2012, 7: 8–11.
Obeten K.E., Ubom K.S., Charles C.M. Some histological changes in the intestines of alloxan induced diabetic mellitus albino rats. Journal of Biology, Agriculture and Healthcare, 2014, 4: 81-84.
Rodrigues R. A comprehensive review: The use of animal models in diabetes research. J Anal Pharm Res, 2016, 3(5): 00071.
Yadav A.K., Kumar R., Priyadarshini L., Singh J. Composition and medicinal properties of camel milk: A review. Asian J Dairy & Food Res, 2015, 34: 83-91.
Manal M.E.M. Shehata, Eman A.M. Evaluation of therapeutic efficiency of camel milk on alloxan-induced diabetic rats. Journal of American Science, 2014, 10: 53-60.
Agrawal R.P., Saran S., Sharma P., Gupta R.P., Kochar D.K., Sahani M.S. Effect of camel milk on residual β-cell function in recent onset type 1 diabetes. Diabetes Res Clin Pract, 2007, 77: 494–495.
Abd El-Aziz A.D., Ali K.A., Ahmed A.H., Mansour H.Z., Mohamed M.S. A Study on the effect of female camel (Camelus Dromedarius) milk on glycemic control of streptozotocin (STZ) induced diabetes mellitus in rats. Journal of American Science, 2012, 8: 459-465.
Badr G., Bashandy S., Ebaid H., Mohany M., Sayed D. Vitamin C supplementation reconstitutes polyfunctional T cells in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats. Eur J Nutr, 2012, 51: 623–633.
Copyright (c) 2020 American Scientific Research Journal for Engineering, Technology, and Sciences (ASRJETS)
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Authors who submit papers with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- By submitting the processing fee, it is understood that the author has agreed to our terms and conditions which may change from time to time without any notice.
- It should be clear for authors that the Editor In Chief is responsible for the final decision about the submitted papers; have the right to accept\reject any paper. The Editor In Chief will choose any option from the following to review the submitted papers:A. send the paper to two reviewers, if the results were negative by one reviewer and positive by the other one; then the editor may send the paper for third reviewer or he take immediately the final decision by accepting\rejecting the paper. The Editor In Chief will ask the selected reviewers to present the results within 7 working days, if they were unable to complete the review within the agreed period then the editor have the right to resend the papers for new reviewers using the same procedure. If the Editor In Chief was not able to find suitable reviewers for certain papers then he have the right to accept\reject the paper.B. sends the paper to a selected editorial board member(s). C. the Editor In Chief himself evaluates the paper.
- Author will take the responsibility what so ever if any copyright infringement or any other violation of any law is done by publishing the research work by the author
- Before publishing, author must check whether this journal is accepted by his employer, or any authority he intends to submit his research work. we will not be responsible in this matter.
- If at any time, due to any legal reason, if the journal stops accepting manuscripts or could not publish already accepted manuscripts, we will have the right to cancel all or any one of the manuscripts without any compensation or returning back any kind of processing cost.
- The cost covered in the publication fees is only for online publication of a single manuscript.