Determination Sunscreen Potential of Grapeseed Oil (Vitis Vinifera) in Cream Preparation with Combination of Oxybenzone and Octyl Methoxycinammate by in Vitro Method
AbstractGrapeseed oil is usually used in cosmetic industry, as anti dandruff, anti microba, antioxidant and sunscreen. The main compound of grapeseed oil is flavonoid, such as proantocyanidine and alfa tocopherol which can protect skin from the impact of ultraviolet radiation. The purpose of this study was to evaluate the influence of adding grapeseed oil to increase the effectiveness of sunscreen preparations containing the combination of oxybenzone and octyl methoxycinamate by measuring the SPF (Sun Protecting Factor) value as its parameter. The preparation was made in 5 formulas such as F1 (blank), F2 (2% oxybenzone and 5% octyl methoxycinammate), F3 (1% GSO), F4 (5% GSO), F5 (10% GSO) combine with 2% oxybenzone and 5% octyl methoxycinammate in each formulas. Evaluations conducted on cream homogeneity, pH, and determining the SPF value of the preparations in vitro method by using spectrophotometer UV-Vis. Then, value of SPF will be tested in One Way Anova and continued with Post Hoc Tukey. The evaluation results showed that all samples were homogen, in range 6.87 – 6.93 pH, and the average SPF value from each formula were: F1 9.23; F2 22.32; F3 26.16; F4 26.95; and F5 27.44. F1 can be used optimally as sunscreen with maximal protection category while F2, F3, F4, F5 were in ultra protection category. From the result of statistic tests, there was a significant difference on the SPF value between F1 and F2, while in F3, F4, and F5 there is no significant difference on value. In conclusion, the addition of grapeseed oil can increase the SPF value but not significantly between each formula combined with oxybenzone and octyl methoxycinammate in cream preparations.
Lavi, Novita. 2012. Sunscreen For Travellers. Denpasar: Departement Pharmacy Faculty of Medicine, University of Udayana.
Guy GP, Machlin SR, Ekwueme DU, Yabroff KR. Prevalence and Costs of skin cancer treatment in the U.S., 2002-2006 AND 2007-2012. American Journal Prevention Medicine. 2014: 1-5.
Badan Penelitian dan Pengembangan Kementrian Kesehatan RI. 2010. RISKESDAS 2010. Jakarta : Kementrian Kesehatan RI.
Barel, A.O., Paye, M., dan Maibach, H.I. 2009. Handbook of Cosmetic Science and Technology. Edisi Ketiga. United States of America: Informa Healthcare USA, Inc. Pg 291,292, 626.
Mansur, M.C.P.P.R., Suzana, G.L., Cristal, C.C., Alane, B.V., Ronald, S.S., Octavio, A.F.P., Alvaro, A.C.L., Gilda, G.L., Eduardo, R.J., dan Elisabete, P.S. 2016. In Vitro and In Vivo Evaluation of Efficacy and Safety of Photoprotective Formulations Containing Antioxidant Extracts. Revista Brasileira de Farmacognosia. 26(1): 251-258.
Sudarsono, G.D., S. Wahyuono, I.A. Donatus, dan Purnomo. 2012. Tumbuhan obat II (hasil penelitian, sifat-sifat, dan penggunaannya). Pusat Studi Obat Tradisional Universitas Gajah Mada, Yogyakarta
Copyright (c) 2020 American Scientific Research Journal for Engineering, Technology, and Sciences (ASRJETS)
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Authors who submit papers with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- By submitting the processing fee, it is understood that the author has agreed to our terms and conditions which may change from time to time without any notice.
- It should be clear for authors that the Editor In Chief is responsible for the final decision about the submitted papers; have the right to accept\reject any paper. The Editor In Chief will choose any option from the following to review the submitted papers:A. send the paper to two reviewers, if the results were negative by one reviewer and positive by the other one; then the editor may send the paper for third reviewer or he take immediately the final decision by accepting\rejecting the paper. The Editor In Chief will ask the selected reviewers to present the results within 7 working days, if they were unable to complete the review within the agreed period then the editor have the right to resend the papers for new reviewers using the same procedure. If the Editor In Chief was not able to find suitable reviewers for certain papers then he have the right to accept\reject the paper.B. sends the paper to a selected editorial board member(s). C. the Editor In Chief himself evaluates the paper.
- Author will take the responsibility what so ever if any copyright infringement or any other violation of any law is done by publishing the research work by the author
- Before publishing, author must check whether this journal is accepted by his employer, or any authority he intends to submit his research work. we will not be responsible in this matter.
- If at any time, due to any legal reason, if the journal stops accepting manuscripts or could not publish already accepted manuscripts, we will have the right to cancel all or any one of the manuscripts without any compensation or returning back any kind of processing cost.
- The cost covered in the publication fees is only for online publication of a single manuscript.