Antioxidant and Anti-Collagenase Effectivity of Red Dragon Fruit Peel and Kaempferol 3-0-Rutinoside
AbstractBackground: Aging is a natural process in human life, which is closely related to various degenerative processes. Skin aging can be caused by internal factors that are influenced by the enzyme collagenase and elastase while external factors are influenced by the environment such as sunlight and chemicals. Free radicals are one of the aging factors that cause oxidative stress and cell apoptosis. Antioxidant compounds can fight oxidation by neutralizing free radicals. Natural antioxidants from the peel of red Dragon fruit as antiaging agents. Aims: To investigate the antioxidant and anti-aging activities of ethanol extract of Red Dragon fruit peels and kaempferol-3-O-rutinoside compounds. Methods: antioxidant assay was measured by the FRAP method and anti-aging property was measured through inhibitory activities of collagenase. Results: Red dragon fruit peel extract had the highest FRAP antioxidant activity at a concentration of 50 ug/ml which FRAP activity was 102.35 µg Fe while the highest FRAP antioxidant activity in kaempferol was 202.57 µg Fe. Anticolagenase activity by the highest red dragon fruit peel extract at a concentration of 250ug / ml was 74.36 ± 0.56% while kaempferol was 72.79 ± 1.02% Collagenase inhibition activity can be seen from the IC50 value. IC50 extracts of red dragon fruit skin 109.84 ug/ml and kaempferol at 44.32 ug/ml. Conclusion: Overall, Kaempferol -3-O-rutinoside compound has higher antioxidant and anti-aging activity compared to red dragon fruit peel extract.
. Zalukhu, M. L., A R Phyma & R T Pitzon. 2016. Proses Menua, Stres Oksidatif, dan Peran Antioksidan
. Farage MA, Miller KW, Elsner P, Maibach HI. Intrinsic and extrinsic factors in skin ageing: a review. Int J Cosmetic Science. 2008;30(2):87–95.
. Tobin, D.J. 2016. Introduction to Skin Aging. Journal of Tissue Viability
. Tanigawa T, Kanazawa S, Ichibori R, Fujiwara T, Magome T, Shingaki K, et al. (+)-Catechin protects dermal fibroblasts against oxidative stress-induced apoptosis. BMC Comp and Alter Med. 2014;14(1):133.
. Nelson KK, Ranganathan AC, Mansouri J, Rodriguez AM, Providence KM, Rutter JL, et al. Elevated sod2 activity augments matrix metalloproteinase expression: evidence for the involvement of endogenous hydrogen peroxide in regulating metastasis
. Wiwit Et Al, 2015. Antioxidant Activity Of Moringa Oleifera Extracts Indonesian Journal of Chemistry
. Nurliyana, R., Zahir, I. S., Suleiman, K. M., Aisyah, M.R., & Rahim, K. K. 2010. Antioxidant study of pulps and peels of dragon fruits: a comparative study. International Food Research Journal. 17 : 367-369
. Calderon MJM, Bugos ME, Perez GC, Lopez LM.2011. A review on the dietary flavonoid koempferol. Mini review in medicinal chemistry.11(4): 298-344
. Chromatography ( HPLC ) Analysis , Antioxidant , Antiaggregation of Mangosteen Peel Extract ( Garcinia mangostana L .). Int J Bioscience, Biochemistry and Bioinformatics, 4(6).
. Widowati W, Wijaya L, Wargasetia TL, Bachtiar I, Yellianty Y, Laksmitawati DR. Antioxidant, anticancer, and apoptosis-inducing effects of Piper extracts in HeLa cells. J Experimental & Integrative Med. 2013;3(3)
. D. Rusmana, R. Wahyudianingsih, M. Elisabeth, Balqis, Maesaroh, W. Widowati. “Antioxidant Activity of Phyllanthus niruri Extract, Rutin and Quercetin”. The Indonesia Biomedical Journal, vol. 9(2), pp. 84-90. May. 2017.
. Depkes RI. 1985. Cara Pembuatan Simplisia. Jakarta: Departemen Kesehatan Republik Indonesia.
. Depkes RI. 1987. Analisis Obat Tradisional. Jakarta: Departemen Kesehatan Republik Indonesia.
. Depkes RI.1989. Materia Medika Indonesia. Jakarta: Departemen Kesehatan Republik Indonesia.
. Depkes RI. 1995. Materia Medika Indonesia (6th ed.). Jakarta: Departemen Kesehatan Republik Indonesia.
. Depkes RI. 2000. Parameter Standar Umum Ekstrak Tumbuhan Obat. Jakarta: Departemen Kesehatan Republik Indonesia.
. Depkes RI. 2008. Farmakope Herbal Indonesia (1st ed.). Jakarta: Departemen Kesehatan Republik Indonesia.
. Widowati, W., Widyanto, R. M., Husin, W., Ratnawati, H., Ratih, D., Setiawan, B., Bachtiar, I. (2014). Green tea extract protects endothelial progenitor cells from oxidative insult through reduction of intracellular reactive oxygen species activity. Iranian Journal of Basic Medical Sciences, 17(9), 702–709.
. Widowati W., Darsono, L., Suherman, J., Yelliantty, Y., Maesaroh, M. 2014. High performance liquid chromatography (HPLC) analysis, antioxidant, antiaggregation of mangosteen peel extract (Garcinia mangostana L.). Int J Biosci, Biochem Bioinform4(6): 458 – 466.
. Widowati, W., Fauziah, N., Heridman, H., Afni, M., Afifah, E., & Sari, H. 2016. Antiepileptic and Effects Antioxidant and Anti Aging Assays of of Oryza in Acid Sativa Extracts , Vanillin and Coumaric acid.J.Nat.Remed. 16(3):88-9
. Wittenauer J., Mackle S., Submann D., Schweiggert-Weisz U., Carle R. Inhibitory effects of polyphenols from grape pomace extract on collagenase and elastase activity. Fitoterapia. 2015. 101: 179 – 187.
. Farnsworth, N. R. 1966. Biological and Phytochemical Screening of Plants. J Pharm Sci ;55(3): 243–264.
. P. Limtrakul, S. Yodkeeree, P. Thippraphan, W. Punfa, J. Srisomboon. “Anti-aging and Tyrosinase Inhibition Effects of Cassia fistula Flower Butanolic Extract”. BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 16(497), pp. 1-9. 2016.
. G. Ndlovu, G. Fouche, M. Tselanyane, W. Cordier, V. Steenkamp. “In Vitro Determination of the Anti-Aging Potential of Four Southern African Medicinal Plants”. BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine, vol. 13, pp. 1-7. Dec. 2013.
. A. Simo, N. Kawal, G. Paliyath, M. Bakovic. “Botanical Antioxidants for Skin Health in the World of Cosmeceuticals”. International Journal of Advanced Nutrituonal and Health Science, vol. 2(1), pp. 67-88. Aug. 2014.
Copyright (c) 2019 American Scientific Research Journal for Engineering, Technology, and Sciences (ASRJETS)
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Authors who submit papers with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).
- By submitting the processing fee, it is understood that the author has agreed to our terms and conditions which may change from time to time without any notice.
- It should be clear for authors that the Editor In Chief is responsible for the final decision about the submitted papers; have the right to accept\reject any paper. The Editor In Chief will choose any option from the following to review the submitted papers:A. send the paper to two reviewers, if the results were negative by one reviewer and positive by the other one; then the editor may send the paper for third reviewer or he take immediately the final decision by accepting\rejecting the paper. The Editor In Chief will ask the selected reviewers to present the results within 7 working days, if they were unable to complete the review within the agreed period then the editor have the right to resend the papers for new reviewers using the same procedure. If the Editor In Chief was not able to find suitable reviewers for certain papers then he have the right to accept\reject the paper.B. sends the paper to a selected editorial board member(s). C. the Editor In Chief himself evaluates the paper.
- Author will take the responsibility what so ever if any copyright infringement or any other violation of any law is done by publishing the research work by the author
- Before publishing, author must check whether this journal is accepted by his employer, or any authority he intends to submit his research work. we will not be responsible in this matter.
- If at any time, due to any legal reason, if the journal stops accepting manuscripts or could not publish already accepted manuscripts, we will have the right to cancel all or any one of the manuscripts without any compensation or returning back any kind of processing cost.
- The cost covered in the publication fees is only for online publication of a single manuscript.